Saturday, March 03, 2007

Bits and Pieces

I feel like I am accomplishing only bits and pieces. Do you ever have that, where you are making progress but finishing nothing? I know I have too many projects going, but I get so bored with just one.

I am ready to pick up the gusset stitches on the Bearfoot socks. I wanted to do it last night, but this yarn is impossible to work on at night for me. I just can't see those tiny dark stitches. So I will work on them today, after I have the cleaning done.

My spinning is progressing. The lastest fiber I am trying is some hot pink BFL roving. Ok, stupid me didn't realize until yesterday that the first creamy BFL I was spinning was top. Can ya tell I am a major beginner lol? I have so much to learn. Boy did I feel dumb. I didn't even know there was a difference , duh. This pink stuff feels grabbier to me, maybe because all the fibers don't go in the same direction - the top vs roving thing maybe?
Here is what I have so far. I am hoping to spin a little more this afternoon.

What do you think? How am I doing? My friend Shelly thinks I am doing well so far.
A little closer?
I think it looks okay, but I am still getting a few "nubs" (or should that be slubs?) in my yarn. I am still having trouble holding my fiber loose enough to draft properly. Ah well, I am learning, no? This yummy pink stuff was a Secret Santa gift from my friend Sharon. I love the color!
All you spinners out there, I would love to hear from you. I want to know everything! I feel like a spinning sponge hehe. I am having so much fun with this!!!! Yay for spinning!

6 comments:

Birdsong said...

I am only a mediocre spinner, but it is magical, and there is always something new to discover. The hot pink is coming along nicely, and you will find roving much easier to work with... I spend the time to pre-draft, separate the roving into two or three thinner pieces, etc., and get better results for it.

Opal said...

I do sympathize with the feeling of nothing getting accomplished. I felt like that for awhile before the Pomatomus socks were done. Meanwhile, you have a lot to be proud of where your spinning is concerned! Your yarn is very consistent! Way to go!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I don't know anything about spinning, but it looks good to me. I'm thinking of signing up for the spindle spinning (or whatever you call it) workshop that is at an LYS (not so L for me) around here...it's the middle of April though, but I still want to take the class.

Jacque said...

Oh I love that your new to spinning, but your a giant leap over me. What is the difference between top and roving anyhoo? I so badly want to learn too so I totally get the sponge thing. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I have absolutely no advice to give! The few times I've tried spinning, I was so discouraged that I have convinced myself that I'm just not made for it! You're doing so much better than I could.

Amy said...

I think your spinning looks just wonderful! I'm proud of you! I have been spinning a little lately too and I think I've finally found the pattern for knitting with my first real yarn! What are you going to do with all this gorgeous stuff you've been making?